Connecting with Others
We recommend developing a network of relationships with other families and groups that can support you, share resources, and provide guidance.
- Project ACTION! is a coalition of self-advocates and self-advocacy groups from the District of Columbia and surrounding areas. ACTION! stands for Advocacy, Change, Training, Information, Organizing, and Networking!
- University Legal Services is a private, non-profit organization that serves as the District of Columbia’s federally mandated protection and advocacy system for the human, legal and service rights of people with disabilities.
- Quality Trust works with individuals and family members to solve problems, identify opportunities for learning and contribution and find creative ways to minimize “differences” and make the most of each person’s abilities.
- Potomac Community Resources is a private, nonprofit organization that promotes the inclusion of persons with developmental differences into the community in Potomac, Maryland.
- The Arc of Northern Virginia promotes and protects the human rights of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and actively supports their full inclusion and participation in the community throughout their lifetimes.
- Autism Society of Northern Virginia serves individuals and families in the region who have been touched by autism by providing a full range of services and supports, including information and referral assistance, advocacy and education, family fun and respite, support groups, Intervention Assistance Fund mini-grants, and fundraising events and programs.
- Down Syndrome Association of Northern Virginia ensures that all individuals with Down syndrome and their families receive the support necessary to participate in, contribute to, and achieve fulfillment of life in their community.
- Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia offers quality programs, activities and services which emphasize Jewish culture, identity and values to people of all ages and backgrounds. The Center is a nonprofit social service organization committed to providing social, educational, fitness and wellness programs guided by Jewish values.
- Independent Living Research Utilization provides research, education, and consultation in the areas of independent living, the Americans with Disabilities Act, home and community based services and health issues for people with disabilities.
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission enforces the employment provisions of the ADA. This question and answer page explains how the ADA applies to job applicants and employees with intellectual disabilities.
- St. Joseph’s House is a Silver Spring based day care and respite home serving children with multiple disabilities in Silver Spring, Md. They also share some of their favorite resources on their website, as well.